Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 1-4

Throughout the first four weeks of this course, I would say I have learned more than I even thought was possible.  From the beginning, we learned the obvious things such as what is environmental health?  How does it affect you?  Why is it necessary to learn about it?  We have also looked at many technological items that are very new to me such as google reader, blogger, and dashboard.  I feel so much more confident in these areas now, only four weeks in, than I did at the beginning.  At first, I was terrifed, technology and I don't usually mix well but so far I have to say it isn't so bad.  Another important thing I have learned is about your ecological footprint.  I had no idea there was such a thing or what kind of impact I was leaving on this planet. 

I really like the aspect of web groups.  It is fun and interesting to read other people's post and see what they think about the environment.  I think one of the best ways to learn is from peers, so this is an excellent example of that.  Another aspect of the course I am fond of is the Read 'N' Seed section, I love my book and feel like I would read it even without this class. 

Regarding the environment, I have learned about new buildings that are environmentally friendly and LEED certified.  I have also learned that recycling is not enough to care for the environment.  If we do not do something extreme soon, eventually the planet is going to be no more.  I should start eating foods grown locally, buying things with less packaging, and carpool more often.  I think I will really benefit from this class and I am looking forward to the rest of the experience. 

5 comments:

  1. I kind of like the blog group commenting as well, I like to get insight from others. I think the share and voices are cool because you can find sources and information that normally you may never come across on your own. And that IS true... we can't just RECYCLE and that be that. We need to start doing something more to make an impact

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that more needs to be done rather than just recycling. Many of us have grown up the concept of reduce reuse recycle ingrained into our brains. But now we have to open our eyes to other concepts like alternative renewable energy sources otherwise our planet is going to be toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I now like the web groups and can definitely say I was a little leery at first but they have grown on me. We don't realize that there is so much more than recycling to be done in order to reduce our carbon footprint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved going to see the new building. I've obviously seen it before, but to actually learn what it does & how it works was pretty amazing. For all the "bad" things that we create & put up in our planet, we are at least able to create something thats "better" to put up in our planet. (if that makes sense)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristy, I also like your book too! I also agree with you on having web groups because I am learning so much about everyone like their interests, thoughts, and concerns. It's great to know that you are enjoying the use of technology because it really is a great tool! It's also saving paper! Yay!

    ReplyDelete