Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Share and Voice: Solar Power Plants to Rise on US Land

This is a news article I found from the New York Times titled Solar Power Plants to Rise on US Land.  I thought it was a really fitting article after reading some of my web groups Read 'n' Seed posts.  These solar plants were just recently approved to begin building in California.  They estimate the plants can produce enough solar, wind, and geothermal energy to power 566,000 homes.  Another cool thing this article discusses is that the White House plans to install solar panels.  The article even talks about how these things are reducing their ecological footprint.  It is so funny to me, because before this class I had never heard of an "ecological footprint" and now I feel like it is everywhere.

Here is a final quote from the article that I feel is very beneficial, and I sure hope that it becomes a reality:
“This project reflects President Obama strong commitment to U.S. leadership in solar energy and the jobs it will create here at home,” Energy Secretary Steven Chu said in a statement. “Deploying solar energy technologies across the country will help America lead the global economy for years to come.”   I hope you all find this article interesting too!

5 comments:

  1. That's great that the President is getting behind this and backing it up. It's one thing to say that we as citizens need to do this but its another thing to go out and do it yourself. I think that's fantastic. It's also nice to see that solar plants are on the rise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a good point that you made...i have never heard of ecological footprints or most of these topics before this class either. It's fun too see everything kind of unfolding and all the pieces being put together as we study further into this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think how much money is being saved and used wisely from solar power?! I don't understand how we couldn't have come up with something like this before. It has taken our nation incredibly long to finally start making changes, when we've been foreseeing these problems LONG before they were right in our faces. I also think that's awesome that the White House will have solar panels... it is such a large building and it will reduce so much CO2 emissions in the future

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that President Obama and the rest of our government is starting to take action. we really need to start using more renewable energy sources!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, it's the same with me too now that I understand certain things about the environment and ecological footprint. It's come up in my book and I feel smart knowing it and catching it. The article was long but very interesting. There were environmental organizations that are working with the projects but were not the selector of them. It sounds a bit too good to be true. I've also heard of the Sierra Club mention from my book but (I forgot if they are the good guys or not) why is it that they are not supportive of the Imperial Valley solar project? Makes me wonder...

    ReplyDelete