Sunday, October 31, 2010

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Part 1:
  1. Antiques: an old collectible item; desirable because of age, uniqueness, beauty, etc.
  2. Antiquing: form of distressing with intention of making the item look old or antique
  3. Junk: is an unwanted or undesirable item
  4. Junking: finding discarded items and turning them into usable items
  5. Flea market: a place where inexpensive secondhand items are sold or bartered
  6. Thrift shop: a shop that sells goods at low prices
  7. Upcycling: coverting waste materials or unusable products into new materials of higher environmental value
  8. Resale shop: shop that sells items again

Part 2:
  1. All the of terms above greatly relate to the environment and environmental health.  They all deal with the fact of reusing things.  Whether that is taking something someone else didn't want, or recreating something into a whole new item, it is all about being resourceful and utilizing the items we currently have or that are in close proximity to us.
  2. Name, address, phone, and website or blog for the terms above:
    1. Antiques: Father Time Antiques  395 S Lake Ave Duluth, MN 55802 218-625-2379
    2. Junking: Snowman Hill 4462 West Tischer Road Duluth MN 55803
    3. Flea Markets: Studebaker Drivers Club Swap Meet Flea Market and Classic Car Show, Lake Superior College 2101 Trinity Road Duluth MN 55811 
    4. Thrift Shops: Savers 1740 Mall Dr, Duluth, MN 55811  218-722-1894 
    5. Upcycling: An example of upcycling is Sara's Table, they convert wine corks into bulletin boards and parking lots.1902 East 8th Street Duluth, MN 55812 (218) 723-8569
    6. Resale Shop: Pawn America 339 E Central Entrance, Duluth, MN 55811-5513                       (218) 727-2274
  3. I currently do not use any of these things.  I do occaisionally go to the Good Will in my hometown with my mom or grandma but here in Duluth I have not taken advantage of these places.  I would say I do not utilize these places for a couple of reasons.  First, I just never thought about their existence, therefore I never went.  And second, simply time.  It is easier to just go to Target whenever I need things and get them all in one place.
Part 3
  1. The first item I found that I think is amazing are these picture frames.  I'm obsessed with pictures and scrapbooking and this is a really neat way to display it in my home.  I love the uniqueness of it.I also feel like I could actually create something like this and would enjoy doing it.
  2. The next item I found are these bookends.  Granted, I am not very into chess but the idea of it is really neat.  Bookends would be really neat gift ideas and fun to create, you could put a ton of different items on the base.
  3. I love this last item.  It is a domino clock.  I do not think I am experienced enough to be able to do it, but I think it would be really neat to be able to do and it looks really cool.  I have a ton of old dominoes that I could reuse for this kind of project, so perhaps one day I could do it.



6 comments:

  1. I have to say my favorite item you found is the domino clock. I giggled at the creativity of how the number of dots on the dominoes represent the correct time. It is definitely one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Domino clock...i like it. My grandma and I used to play dominos all the time when i was younger. I should make her one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose the junk picture frame for one of my favorites as well! Such a cool idea, and it looks super simple too. I suggest that you try out some of the thrift shops around here. Savers and Dannie Duluth confinement off of 4th street are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the domino clock, as well as the picture frame, and I agree it is easier to go to Target or the mall to find the thing/s you need, thrift shopping is more work, although it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like the bookends. I dont think that I saw that one when I was on the site before! I might have to steal that idea. The clock is also neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bookends and domino clock looks great! I didn't see these in the website or I didn't get to them. They do inspire great project ideas!

    ReplyDelete