Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Read 'N' Seed 1: Plenty - Eating Locally on the 100 Mile Diet

The book I chose for the Read 'N' Seed portion of the class is called Plenty: Eating Locally on the 100 Mile Diet by Alisa Smith and J.B. Mackinnon. 

The book is about a couple in Canada that plan to eat locally, within 100 miles of their home, for one year.  They learn the challenges and advantages that come along with this journey and become an inspiration for many others around the world.

I chose this book because the title stuck out to me, I thought it sounded really interesting.  After reading the synopsis, I was already hooked.  I'm jealous of the couple before even reading the book because I think this would be a huge challenge, and they were successful at it.  I hope I can learn enough tips from the book that I can tweak my own eating habits in trying to be more environmental friendly and eating locally grown foods.

I found three links that I thought were important to share with all of you,

  1. Book Website
  2. Book Excerpt
  3. Book Review
The first link I found about the book is its main website. It offers information about the book.  It also has a section  on how YOU can join the 100 Mile Diet pledge to eat locally for one meal, one week, one month, or even longer! I think that is an awesome idea.  Once I get more into the book, I think I will take the pledge for a week and see how it goes.

The second link I found
is an excerpt from the book.  So you can actually read the first few pages of the book to see if you like it.

The third link I found is
more of a book review piece.  It allows you to read someone else's perspective on the book. 

Plenty Eating Locally on the 100 Mile Diet has 264 pages.  The book is divided into 12 months and an epilogue.  Thus I will divide the book into four sections with three months in each section.  For example, the first quarter will be the months of March, April, and May.  The second quarter will be June, July, and August.  The third quarter will be September, October, and November.  The last quarter will be the months of December, January, February and the epilogue.



I am really looking forward to reading this book so come back and check out what else I learn from Plenty Eating Locally on the 100 Mile Diet :)

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting! I can not wait to hear more about it the coming weeks. I imagine eating locally for EVERYTHING is going to be very difficult and they are going to have some big obstacles to over come espcially because it is not the norm to eat everything locally.
    Looking forward to hearing more about it. Maybe I will even be inspired to eat more locally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, this book is really interesting and luckily you got to it first! My family and I farm a lot in the summer and we eat a lot of local veggies. My diet is different in my culture so it would differ in ways but I am interested in other foods too. I read the Q&A information from the website. Though it was brief, its so fascinating to learn about the things they had to go through like eat potatoes for a long while. I'm excited to hear what you have to tell us about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book sounds great! It does sound very interesting and something worthwhile. Its not easy to do food locally, its something i sometime try to do as well (not often) but i still try...definitely looking forward how this book turns out & what it'll teach us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. To me, eating locally within 100 miles sounds easy, but then when you stop and think about it, that includes everything. And then it becomes rather hard! I don't know if I could do that for a year! I'd need to get paid something!

    ReplyDelete