Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My SMART Goal

My SMART Goal is:
I will drink 8 ounces of water out of my reusable stainless steel water bottle 6 days a week.


I currently, sad to say, have a tendency to drink out of plastic water bottles.  Sometimes it is just easier or more convenient to grab a plastic water bottle.  I would like to minimize my use of bottled water by relying solely on the use of my reusable bottle.  Recently, we watched the documentary Tapped.  This gave me a whole new perspective on bottled water.  This lifestyle change is most definitely eco-chic because not only will minimizing my use of bottled water help myself to consume necessary amounts of water, it also helps the environment.  Bottles used for bottled water are not recycled properly and contain harmful chemicals like BPA.  They have a negative effect on our environment, for instance, the North Pacific Garbage Patch.  Also, not having to purchase water bottles will save me money, which as a college student is always helpful!  But it also is one small step to showing the water bottle industry that I do not support their actions. This goal is important to me because it is something I have always wanted to implement in my life, but never really had something continue to motivate me.  Making this my goal will serve as that motivational factor to keep me doing it.  I am actually really excited to put this goal into action because I think it will also encourage others around me to think twice before picking up a plastic water bottle. 

**Image is from http://www.kleankanteen.com/tapped/index.php  and they are a sponsor for Tapped: Get Off the Bottle Movie Tour.  This is also an example of the type of bottle I will be using to be successful with my goal.


4 comments:

  1. I really like that your goal is so relevant with what we just watched. It's not only good for you but for the environment as well. Good idea, and I like that you want to educate those around you too to go reusable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this same goal. I need to drink more water during the day but I am not going to buy bottled water so I am going to drink tap water and bring my water bottle everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really similar to my smart goal! This is a good goal and I agree with this a lot. Hopefully more people can follow along with us and we can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great smart goal! I have a reusable water bottle and I drink way more water now than I did before I had the water bottle.

    ReplyDelete